Utility Offers Ways to Save on Bills
ORLANDO, FL – For the second time in less than a month, a new peak OUC electric demand was set in St. Cloud. On Wednesday (7/13), demand was pushed to a record 234 megawatts (MW) up from the previous record of 230 MW on Friday, June 24, 2022.
As air conditioners work harder and use more energy to keep homes cool that can lead to higher bills. OUC is committed to helping customers keep their energy bills as low as possible with the following:
- Set your thermostat at 78 degrees or higher. Each degree you lower the thermostat below 78 degrees can cost you six to eight percent more on your cooling costs.
- Keep your A/C (central, window and split units) set to auto, so the fan isn’t constantly turning.
- Use ceiling fans to make rooms feel cooler. Make sure they’re turning counter clockwise, but don’t forget to turn them off when the room is empty.
- Replace your air filter regularly.
- Consider upgrading to a smart thermostat. Smart thermostats can help save up to 10 percent on cooling costs.
- Use shades, drapes and blinds to keep the sun and heat out, especially on windows that face east or west.
- Close windows and outside doors while the air conditioner is on.
- Caulk and place weather strips around leaky windows and doors.
- Wash only full loads in dishwashers and clothing washers. Using hot water can add about 90 percent to the cost of each load, so consider using cold water.
- Clear your dryer vent regularly to prevent fires and improve efficiency.
- Check your water heater temperature to ensure it is set to no more than 125 degrees, otherwise you’re wasting energy.
For more tools to help save energy and money, visit ouc.com/waystosave.
About OUC—The Reliable One
Established in 1923 by a special act of the Florida Legislature, OUC—The Reliable One is the second largest municipal utility in Florida. OUC provides electric and water services to about 400,000 accounts in Orlando, St. Cloud and parts of unincorporated Orange and Osceola counties. Visit http://www.ouc.com to learn more about our commitment to reliability, affordability and sustainability.